Skip to content

Certificate of Origin

The Chamber of Commerce serving Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows can certify a variety of documents, the most common being Certificates of Origin. A Certificate of Origin (CO) is a document attesting that goods exported in a shipment have been wholly obtained, produced, manufactured or processed in a particular country. COs may be requested by customs administrations, importers, freight forwarders or banks for clearance of letters of credit.

The issuance of a CO is an important function for chambers of commerce as many countries view chambers of commerce as credible organizations and require that they authenticate documents with their stamp or seal.

All documents will be considered on a case-by-case basis; and reviewed by Chamber staff. Once approved, documents will be certified by one of our agents and copied for our records. Please call in advance to make an appointment. Pleas note the Chamber has the right to determine whether they will sign the provided documents.

Multi-page/high volume requests can be processed the same day provided they are delivered to our office no later than 3:00 pm. General or small volumes can be certified up until 3:30 pm. If items are not being delivered in person, pick up must be prior to 4:00 pm.

Documents Not Certified

The Chamber cannot certify the following (not an all-inclusive list):

  • ATA Carnet (can only be issued by the Canadian Chamber of Commerce; Import Export Services-ATA Carnet 
  • Certificates of Origin relating to international trade agreements, such as NAFTA;
  • Certificates of Value (can be obtained from freight forwarders);
  • Certificates of Composition or Analysis (weights/materials, etc.);
  • Certificates of Insurance;
  • Certificates of Fumigation;
  • Certificates of Free Sale;
  • Confirmation of Price Lists;
  • Documents issued by the federal or provincial governments;
  • Documents issued by foreign entities (government, company, etc);
  • Documents with references to quality or human consumption;
  • Letters of invitation (entry into Canada);
  • Personal documents (marriage/death certificates, divorce papers, etc.);
  • Documents with boycott clauses or inferring boycotting; and
  • Documents issued in a foreign language.